[Advaita-l] Prajnaghana brahma

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 22:07:35 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 2:10 AM, michael via Advaita-l <

> Dear Sri Vedavids,
>

> -prajnanam brahma/Brahman is consciousness
>
> -prajnaghana brahma/Brahman is a mass of consciousness
>

> The first is a Mahavakya from AitareyaU 3.1.3
>
> Can anyone tell me where prajnaghana brahma appears?

It appears in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad:   ‘ अनन्तरोऽबाह्यः कृत्स्नः
प्रज्ञानघन एव’ (बृ. उ. ४ । ५ । १३)    .....It is prajnanaghana
alone...4.5.13.  Shankara has cited this about a dozen times across his
bhashyas. Both the terms mean the same:  mass of pure consciousness.

prajnanaghana appearing in the mandukya context is slightly different: it
is a mass of undifferentiated consciousness, knowledge of so many things
the person possesses, not differentiated in the sleep state, but
manifesting as differentiated in the waking and dream states.

regards
subbu