[Advaita-l] Swami Nischalananda Saraswathi replies to ISKCON's claims of Advaita being a Mayavadi

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 22:20:06 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 7:19 PM, Keshava Mahadeva via Advaita-l <

> Hi All,
>
> In the below video, Swami Nischalananda Saraswathi gives fitting reply to
> ISKCON's claims of Advaita being a Mayavadi. The questioner quotes from
> Padma Purana the talk between Shiva and Devi.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN9KpDg9X0g
>
> I see a lot of positive comments and also a good number of likes which made
> me to think that he has given a fitting reply. I don't understand Hindi.
>
> Can someone translate to me what he says?

The main points that emerge from his talk are:

   - Advaita is Brahma sahita maayaa vaada and not brahma rahita maayaa
   vaada.  This means, Advaita admits maya as a shakti of Brahman.
   - This is amply validated in the Upanishads and Bh.Gita.
   - 'Indro maayaabhih puru rupa iyate' - Brahman, through maya takes many
   forms.  Br.Up. / Shvetashvatara
   - 'mayaa adhyakshena prakritih suuyate sa caraacaram..'  Bh.gita. With
   me as presiding consciousness, prakritis creates this world.
   - So, It is Brahma vaada along with shakti.  Without shakti Brahman
   cannot do anything.
   - Iskcon people have fused Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's doctrine with
   Madhvacharya's doctrine.

(This is not from the video): Even Bhamati has termed Advaita, Mayavada.
This is with a purpose: The opponent schools of Vedanta, refuted in the
Brahma sutras, were all prapancha satya, jiva naanaatva vaadins. Sankhya,
vaisheshika, patanjala, nyaya, charvaka, etc.They did not accept the maya
of the upanishads for their doctrine.  Vedanta alone accepts maya of the
Upanishads. Hence to distinguish Vedanta from all others, the term mayavada
was used.

regards
subbu