[Advaita-l] Is Badarayana same as Vyasa?

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 10:32:45 EDT 2018

PraNAms
Sir - Please item no. 6.
Hari Om!Sadananda

   On Monday, July 16, 2018, 10:28:15 AM EDT, Belavadi Shankar <shankarbelavadi5 at gmail.com> wrote:

 I have read both sribhashya and Shankqra bhashya. In sribhashya I had to make so many disagreeing remarks in the marjin of my book.
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 at 7:50 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

PraNAms
Some thoughts.
1. There is a strong assertion that Brahmasutras refutes the theories of Buddism particularly the vijnana vaada.
2. Buddism is around 500 BC but the philosophical foundations were laid out much later presumably after the first Sangham. Nagarjuna is supposed to be around 3rd Century AD. Apparently, there are four vaadas in Buddhism itself as is been discussed and refuted by Advaita Acharyas.
3. Many traditional Acharyas and Meemamsakas equate Badarayana with Vyaasa.
4. There were supposed to be other Brahmasutras but they did not survive and only the Badarayana's was ultimately accepted since many acharyas made commentaries on it.
5. There is a theory that the author of the survived Brahmasutras, Badarayana, around 3rd or 4th century after Nagarjuna since there was no record of Nagarjuna acknowledging the existence of Brahmasutra.
6. Importance of Brahma Sutra is given more by Dviata and Visishtadvaita, since the claim is that it is in tune more with these philosophical positions that with Advaita. This statement is always refuted by Advaitins.
7. In the final analysis, it helps in clarifying or resolving some of the apparent contradictions in the smRities and shruti statements for an earnest seeker.
Hari Om!Sadananda