[Advaita-l] Is Badarayana same as Vyasa?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jul 17 04:05:43 EDT 2018

Hence there can be no objection to conclude that Badarayana had the
> name of Vyasa also

praNAms Sri ChandramouLi prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Thanks for the additional information.  Yes, bAdarAyaNa can be called as vyAsa also since there were somany vyAsa-s according to purANa-s (aneka purANa prasiddha vyAsaru, I think Sri SSS says in Kannada).  So, in short, no problem in calling bAdarAyaNa as vyAsa but not in certainity we can assert that krishna dvaipAyana vyAsa or bhArata kara vyAsa and sUtrakAra bAdarAyaNa are one and the same.  But how does it matter about the author of sUtra when we have the bhagavatpAda's  bhAshya on it??  He wonders...Anyway, sUtra lakshaNa alpAksharaM is OK but not certainly 'asandhigdham' when we have multiple commentaries on same asandhigdaM sUtra with drastically different viewpoints by various traditional Acharya-s :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar