[Advaita-l] Is Badarayana same as Vyasa?

K Kathirasan brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 06:37:46 EDT 2018

Namaste

This reference to Vyasa from Upadesha Sahasri could be referring to Vyasa, the author of Mahabharata (therefore, the Bhagavad Gita). Moreover, Shankara uses the word Vyasa in Brahma Sutra Bhashya 2.1.12 clustering it with Manu as if he was not the author of the Brahma Sutras and a person from the past. In the Gita introduction, Shankara clearly attributed the Gita to be authored by Vyasa. And Sureshvara too quotes Vyasa in his Vartika and the Naishkarmyasiddhi with untraceable verses (not from the Brahma Sutras). Both Shankara and Sureshvara address Vyasa as Sarvavedarthatattvavit (somewhat)  and hence the Upadesha Sahasri could be referring to the all-knowing Vyasa who is the author of Mahabharata and the Puranas perhaps.

Kathirasan K