[Advaita-l] Taattvika Abheda and vyavaharika bheda in Dvaita and Advaita

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:27:09 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Brahman has to depend on prakriti for doing anything.  Madhva has called
> it Bhaaryaa in the BGB.

Little explanation is needed here. By reading Madhva's BSB, one may think
even Brhamn is "depends" on prakriti. Such thinking is wrong. If one were
to samanvya of other instances, one will realize that the very such potency
of prkriti (to create all this) in fact sourced from Brhamn only.

In the sUktha called `ambriNi' in Rig-Samihita 10-125-5, the speaker says;
"yam kAmayE tam tam ugram kriNomi tam brahmANam tam sumEdhAm"
(Whom I want to make Rudra I make him Rudra. I make him chaturmukha-brahmA
whom I want to make Chaturmukha. I make him a sage whom I want make a sage.
I make him wise whom I want to make wise)

Having stated this, She continues and says "mama yOnirapsu antah samudrE"
(that which gives me birth dwells in the water within the sea).

Same idea is conveyed in Mahanarayana Upanishad "yata prasUta jagatha
prasUti" (From Him born the mother of this
jagat).

So, the correct understanding is that in Madhva's view, Brhamn is totally
independent and does not depend on anybody for the business of this world.
That is the reason why we have the sUtra Om jagat vyApArvarjyam Om

/sv