[Advaita-l] In Advaita alone the jiva is not jaDa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 23:15:56 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 8:36 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda <
kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Subbuji - PraNAms
>

> This does not mean jeevas are achetana vastu- They depend on Iswara for
> all physiological functions. Hence, He is called the controller and
> controls all the phenomenal world - akaasha, vaayu etc as per Kathopanishat
> statements.

Sada ji, your explanation boils down to this: the jiva is chit no doubt but
is a different kind of chit that Brahman/Vishnu is.  There really can't be
any difference between two 'chit-s'.  If a difference is
perceived/asserted, then it has to be only on the basis of some
restriction, upadhi.  The jiva-chit has to be tainted with some or the
other achit component.  Unless this is admitted, its difference from
Brahman-chit cannot be explained.

> Jeeva thinks I am independent of Him - that forms his avidya.

This is stated by Madhvas too: to think that one is independent is samsara
and the correct thinking that one is ever-dependent on Vishnu is mukti. But
one can see how the idea of 'eternal-dependence' is antithetical to the
idea of liberation/moksha.

regards
subbu