[Advaita-l] Jagadguru Speaks: Dharma Alone the Cause for Happiness

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 16:33:01 EDT 2018

(Around the beginning of the month, a nugget of Wisdom from the Jagadguru may be posted
on the Chaturamnaya list :  http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/chaturamnaya )

 http://www.tattvaloka.com/uploads/jagadguruSpeech/pdf/2011290453Jagadguru%20speaks%20jan%2018.pdf

Our forefathers have left behind several guidelines for man to lead a virtuous life and enjoy happiness.
Adherence to these guidelines and living in accordance will lead to immense benefits.

However, these days, people say: "This is Kali Yuga. Contrary are the ways of the world.
Wicked measures are rampant. Morals and righteousness will not suit our present times.
We can lead our lives in whatever way we like."

Such an opinion is wrong. For, how does it matter if it is Kali Yuga? Nowhere does it state
that one must not lead a righteous life. Do we stop our activities just because it gets dark
in the evenings? No.

Similarly, even in Kali Yuga, we must adhere to righteousness, equity and moral values.
Our forefathers have correctly stated that dharma (righteousness) begets victory and adharma
(unrighteousness) suffering. This is a fact applicable to all yugas just as fire burns'
is a fact during all yugas.

The uniqueness of Kali Yuga is the efficacy of chanting divine names. Having known the
greatness of God, if one were to offer worship with full faith and conduct one's life
virtuously, it is possible to be happy and contented at all times.

In this Kali Yuga, even if one amongst a hundred were to orient himself along the path of dharma,
and actually conform to dharma even to a small extent, he becomes worthy of praise. It would be
akin to having even a little water in a small stream in a parched desert -

  etaadRRishe kaliyuge.api shateShu kishchit.h jAtAdaro jagati
  yaH shrutimArga eva .
  yat.h ki~nchidaacharatu paatramasau stutiinaaM shlaaghyaM
  mitaapamapi kiM na marau sarashchet.h ..

Hence it would be wholly wrong to use Kali Yuga as an alibi to give up the path of dharma.
Our blessings for all to understand this well, place faith in the Lord's name and ever tread
the dharmic path.