[Advaita-l] Brahmajnani / Atmajnani

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:29:26 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:23 PM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:16 PM, sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l <
>
>> Dear friends,
>> Here is a very direct and easy Upanishad prakriya for one to be a
>> Brahmajnani :
>> Even though Brahman has been called by many names in Upanishads. it is
>> neither an object for vAk nor mental pratyaya.It is our own true Atmasvarpa
>> which is the WITNESS of both
>> vAk (speech) and pratyaya.
>> One Who cognizes the above within oneself by oneselfis Brahmajnani or
>> AtmajnAni.
>>

> Very nicely stated.
>
> अहं सर्वप्रत्ययसाक्षिभूतश्चेतयिता केवलो निर्गुणो    Ishavasya 6th mantra
> bhashyam
>
> स आत्मा सर्वबोधान्प्रतिबुध्यते सर्वप्रत्ययदर्शी चिच्छक्तिस्वरूपमात्रः
> प्रत्ययैरेव प्रत्ययेष्वविशिष्टतया लक्ष्यते ; नान्यद्द्वारमन्तरात्मनो
> विज्ञानाय ।    Kenopanishad 2.4  bhashya. He says: There is no other way
> to realize the Self than to know it to be the witness of all thoughts.

There is also another point in these passages: While one can realize
oneself as the witness of the intellect (by extension, the pancha koshas),
being beyond them, pancha kosha vilakshana, is he then paricchinna, that
is, is he the witness of just 'his' pancha koshas? Are there not so many
witnesses, each one for 'his' pancha koshas? Then, is there not
multiplicity of witnesses? The scripture and yukti comes to our aid: The
second verse of the Gita 13th chapter:  Kshetrajnam chaapi maam viddhi
sarvakshetreshu bharata. The witness of 'all' body-mind complexes is
actually One entity, Brahman. Yukti: There is no real differentiating
factor, bhedaka, between one witness and another because the
nature/content/essence of the witness is pure consciousness. Division of
Pure Consciousness is impossible.  So on the strength of shaastra and
yukti, the witness of the pancha koshas is Brahman. Thus, in this exercise,
the paricchinnatva bhrama and parokshatva bhrama are both removed. One is
not limited and one is also not removed from Brahman.

That is the teaching of Bhagavatpada.

regards
vs