[Advaita-l] Core Advaita in the Srimad Bhaagavatam

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 03:27:42 EDT 2018

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <
advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote

<< Could Shri Krishnan be referring to the Vopadeva authorship controversy
I mentioned in my other post? >>,

I positively confirm that Sri Krishnan Ji did not name Vopadeva. The name
is so unfamiliar, this is the first time I have heard of that name, I would
have certainly remembered if Sri Krishnan Ji had mentioned  it.

Reg  << 12/13th century is too late as Shridhara Swami is dated to the 11th
century.  Chitsukha is said to be two or three generations after
Shankaracharya so that is even earlier.>>,

I had checked elsewhere and  with others also. Merely out of curiosity
after reading some of the works of Sri Ramanujacharya. Because the omission
I thought was striking.  The question as to why Sri Ramanujacharya has not
cited  from Srimad Bhagavatam appears to have been discussed extensively
with no satisfactory answers coming forth. That was one of the reasons for
my approaching Sri Krishnan Ji to get an authoritative answer directly from
a very respected vishishtadvaita Acharya. In fact he was the first to point
out that  that even Sri Vedanta Deshikacharya who is much later to Sri
Ramanujacharya and who has quoted extensively from innumerable sources in
his huge collection of works has also not cited from Srimad Bhagavatam. My
own inference, for whatever it is worth, is that since no definite answer
is available from the authors themselves, the idea was mooted about the
authenticity of Srimad  Bhagavatam itself as in that case it could be
claimed that it has not been cited for that very reason.