[Advaita-l] Ramayana Soudaryam - to revel on Shree Ramanavami.

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 07:25:25 EDT 2018

Ryan - PraNAms and thanks for your kind words. The write-up is somewhat based on Swami Tejomanandaji introductory talk many years ago.
Hari Om!Sada

   On Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 11:36:50 AM GMT+5:30, Ryan Armstrong via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 धन्यवाद Sadananda ji
This is an excellent and astute observation on beauty and the deeper
meanings of Ramayana

Kind Regards
Ryan

On 25 March 2018 at 08:06, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <

> Ramayana Soundaryam
>

> Soudaryam means beauty. What do we mean by beauty? When do we say that
> something is beautiful? To start with, when an object appeals to our eyes,
> we say it is beautiful. Beauty is that X-factor that makes us admire, that
> which makes the object to stand out from its surroundings, that which is
> aesthetically appealing to our vision, that which seems to have a
> perfection, an order or a structure. For example, not many people can
> appreciate the modern art, where deeper thinking may be required to
> appreciate the message depicted by the artist – which has more appealing to
> the intellect than the mind. In contrast, a beautiful object appeals
> immediately to our emotions. Subsequently, we may also admire
> intellectually the creator of that beauty and appreciate the intelligence
> behind that creation. Soundaryam or beauty has immediate mental or
> emotional appreciation, as our experience shows. Beauty is that which melts
> our hearts and fills our heart with noble sentiments. For example, when we
> see the beautiful flower that is in full blossom with all its fragrance,
> which is radiating with the brilliant colors and textures, our vision gets
> arrested, at least for few seconds. In those moments of admiration, we
> forget the rest of the world, and we even forget ourselves since there is
> no other thought that arises, other than emotional identity with that
> beauty. The mind itself becomes silent, with no words to express or
> verbalize it – other than some meaningless mantras – Oh!, Wah!, or What a
> beauty!, etc. The intellect may step in later with some critical analysis
> involving comparisons and contrasts with the things that were seen in the
> past, with gradations in the scale of beauty, with a desire to own it, or
> to be proud of it if it is already owned, or to be jealous of the person
> who owns it . We do not understand what is satyam and jnaanam but we
> understand sundaram, beauty and ananda or joy associated with it; the total
> fulfillment even for few moments of joy in the vision of the beauty.
>
> Thus, when there is a beauty, the mind is attracted to it. Hence
> attraction is the expression of soudaryam, that which is beautiful. The
> perfection or the order that exists in the object manifests as an
> attraction towards it, which in turn invokes love and passion. This may
> degenerate later into the desire to possess the object. Before the desire
> arises, there is an emotional identification with the object of love, which
> is the object of attraction, which is the object of beauty. There is a
> saying that the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Thus beauty causes
> attraction and expresses as love for the object; and that love involves an
> identity with oneself bridging the gap between the seer and the seen, at
> least for those moments. No words can reach to express that beauty, that
> love, that happiness. Every object of beauty is a creative expression or
> [...]

Ryan Armstrong
+27 82 852 7787
ryanarm at gmail.com