[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 04:17:32 EDT 2018

//
In all these following references, it is only the effect of ignorance that is said to be absent and not the root ignorance.//

Let us examine how far this is true. My interest is limited to B U 4.3. (Since I am typing from mobile, it is difficult to paste the Sanskrit bhAshya. Interested readers are welcome to cross verify with original commentary.)

The upanishad says in 4.3.32, that the deep sleep self is advaitam. Shankara interprets this to say that there is no second entity different from the self in that state. Hence, ignorance cannot be present in that state. Further, the self is bereft of limiting adjuncts.

In 4.3.21, it is said that the deep sleep Self merges with his real nature, aka nirguna brahman. Thus, there is no possibility of ignorance. It is also explicitly said in 4.3.21 that jIva in deep sleep is free from ignorance (not just its effects).

In 4.3.22 also, it is explicitly mentioned that the form of self in deep sleep is free from ignorance, desire and work.

So we are not talking about mere effects of ignorance being absent. Ignorance itself is absent in deep sleep.

In the face of such evidence, the contention that ignorance exists in deep sleep, has no ground to stand upon.