[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 08:16:16 EDT 2018

PraNAms to all
Looks like a lot of posts on this topic. Here is my understanding.

The Ch. 11 of Pancadashi gives an exhaustive analysis of the deep sleep state.

Since the mind is in a subtle or folded state, there is still a reflection of consciousness or chiddabhaasa that keeps the body alive since all physiological functions are functioning. Hence consciousness-existence is getting reflected.

There is ignorance of subject-object duality. Since it is undifferentiated ignorance (unlike ignorance in the waking state where I can say I know this and I do not know that, etc., and I can distinguish what I know and what I do not know) and the ignorance in deep-sleep state is called akhandaakaara ajnana vRitti -undifferentiated unbroken ignorance of all subject-object duality. In the deep sleep state, I also do not know that I do not know.

Since there is no duality, the mind is peaceful and therefore free from all agitations which is experienced as unbroken happiness. It is happiness out of the absence of sorrow; and sorrow arises only with recognition of duality since as the Tai. Up says even a speck of duality contributes to fear. Hence the happiness in the deep sleep state is not due to the knowledge of aham brahmaasmi but lack of the perception of duality or reflection of the unagitated but folded mind. The analogy with state of realization ends there; where in the deep sleep state there is absence of the duality and in the state of realization it is necessarily the absence of duality but clear understanding of unreality of the duality – duality is recognized as vibhuti or glory only. Thus in the deep sleep state the chidaabhasaa is reflecting the absence of duality while in the state of self-realization chidaabhaasa is reflecting the knowledge of aham brahmaasmi with the associated knowledge of the absence of the reality to duality that is perceived via senses and mind. This knowledge also rests with the mind and therefore is also folded in the deep sleep state for a jnaani.

Hence deep-sleep state is not the same as the absolute state as clearly defined by the mantra 7 of the Mandukya Upanishad. Therefore Tat ttu samanvayaat - consistency in the Upanishads statements has to understand.

One last point based on my experience. I found almost two years ago when I passed out or when I as coma, I learned that coma state is slightly different from the deep sleep state. When I get up from the deep sleep state, there is a clear knowledge that I have slept well and the mind feels relaxed and there is a vague knowledge that ‘I did not know anything’. When I came out of coma I had no experienced knowledge that I was in the coma. Hence even the knowledge of the absence of the subject-object duality was not there recorded in the mind. My wife who gave me mouth to mouth resuscitation told me that I passed out.

My 2c.

Hari Om!

Sadananda