[Advaita-l] Fwd: There's No God. No One Directs Our Fate: Stephen Hawking In His Last Book

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 05:17:45 EDT 2018

Namaste Gopal ji
You articulated an empathetic and sensitive stand on Hawkings' passionate
atheism and thank you for the same.

What I write below is not to disagree but to share a couple of ideas taught
by some Gurus I had studied with.

Pujya Swami Dayananda Saraswati ji used to say that most of these
scientists who proclaim their atheism have strong objections to an extra
cosmic creator "God" and much less objection if not a neutral stance with
respect to the idea of Ishvara who is both the maker and at the same time
the material. (ishvarasya abhinna-nimitto-pAdAna-kAraNatvam).

Swamiji would also say that many scientists pose the wrong question viz.,
"Does God exist?" - they assume the word God is a well-known entity like an
apple or a table. The question "does God exist" itself is a loaded one with
a lot of implicit baggage and so it only polarizes people . The question
does not improve understanding. Even Nobel prize winners are often not
smart enough to pose the right question viz., "What is the meaning of the
word "God"?"

Also scientists like Hawking are staunch "believers" in the non-existence
of "God" (and as it now turns out, he held on to his deep "faith" in his
beliefs till his last breath). Many believers of the various religions of
the world are similarly disposed with respect to their own beliefs.

One last point which was stated on several occasions by Sri Swami
Ranganathananda ji a former President of the Ramakrishna Mission, was that
a person successful in his own particular field like physics or chemistry
or sports may not have the slightest clue when it comes to deep
philosophical questions. Their opinions on questions beyond their
particular field of excellence have no particular value. If a great
cricketer like Sachin Tendulkar makes pronouncements about God etc., such
statements may gain publicity and traction on account of their personal
fame but are of no real significance.

(These words of Swamijis are my recollection of their words and not a
verbatim presentation of what they said.)

One other important point made by you is that given the way the cards of
fate were dealt to Hawking which made him suffer from a motor neuron
disease, it's understandable that he would be loathe to admit the existence
of either a benevolent creator or even one who dispenses retributive
justice.

This is a much larger problem faced by many people who perceive that they
have been dealt a raw deal in life. They view the law of karma to be a
ridiculous explanation of the causes of what they are going through.

What would be the best constructive response to the following view - "i
can't believe in the law of karma. A view such as 'When a child is born
with a congenital defect or even some social disadvantage or being abused
as a child, it's the child's own karma which has fructified and there is no
one else to blame' -  is harsh and judgemental and blames the child for
what he is suffering for no known fault of his."

I generally say that if we ask what is the cause of a child's suffering .
We have to say "because...." . That's all the law of karma builds upon....

On
Raghav

On Fri 19 Oct, 2018, 9:37 PM Gopal via Advaita-l, <