[Advaita-l] Kaalaagni rudropanishat cited by Narayanashrama 13 CE

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 22:45:11 EDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 12:26 AM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Kaalaagni rudropanishat cited by Narayanashrama 13 CE
>
> Sri Narayanashrama, an Advaita Acharya of the 13 CE who has penned
> 'Deepika-s' for several Upanishads, in his commentary to the Atharva Shikha
> Upanishad, in the context of Pranava dhyana, names the Kaalaagni
> Rudropanishat:
>
> अत एव कालाग्निरुद्रोपनिषदि महेश्वरसदाशिवशिवाः शैवं प्रति
> प्रणववर्णत्रयदेवाः उक्ताः |

The above commentator, in yet another commentary of his, for the
Atharvashira Upanishad, in the context of 'paashupata vratam' that involves
bhasma dhaaranam, with the mantras 'agniriti bhasma, ....', refers to the
Kalagnirudropanishat:

भस्मधारणविधिः तत्फलविशेषश्च कालाग्निरुद्रोपनिषदि द्रष्टव्यः |  [The
injunction/method of bhasma dhaarana and the specific fruit of such a
practice (moksha), has to be known from the Kalagnirudropanishat.]

Thus we have the approval of purvacharyas of the Vedanta tradition for the
vaidika practice of bhasma dharanam which is ultimately aimed at moksha.
The chanting of the mantras while doing the dhaaranam as 'agniriti bhasma
..' is a contemplation that 'everything in the creation is ultimately
bhasma', which finally means 'brahma.'  Upanishad Brahma Yogin has brought
out this meaning.  Thus, bhasma dhaaranam is a Vedanta saadhana by itself.

Vishveshvara Saraswati has referred to the Atharvashira paashupata vrata in
his Yati dharma sangraha. The Paashupata vrata is extolled in various
Puranas such as the Shiva purana and the Padmapurana Shiva Gita where Rama
has observed this vrata in the run up to the battle with Ravana.

Om Tat Sat