[Advaita-l] Sanskrit and Advaitic Truth

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Sep 30 23:51:04 EDT 2018

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018, Sean Geiger via Advaita-l wrote:

I have not read that particular book but the sentiments expressed below
are quite familiar.

> "Sanskrit has all its words full of spiritual significance."

Of course historically Sanskrit has also been used for quite mundane even
profane uses as well as spiritual ones.  However Advaitins believe any
concept if meditated upon far enough will eventually lead to the
cognisance of Brahman which underlies all.  Sanskrit being a "perfected"
(as opposed to Prakrit or "natural") language is especially well suited to
such meditation.  Ultimately though no words can capture Brahman in
totality so the greatest of jnanis abide in silence.

> "The truth was originally declared through the Sanskrit language, and it
> still holds the truth in its original form."

The language of the Vedas is thought to be the primordial one so from the
beginning of recorded Indian civilization we have gone to great lengths to
maintain its integrity.