[Advaita-l] Samnyasa and Sankara's position?

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 10:42:55 EDT 2019

The sequence to Moksha is very well enshrined in Gita Bhashya 5.12 as
karma-yoga--sattva-shuddhi--jnana-prapti---sarva-karma-sanyasa---jnana-nishtha---Moksha.
Further, sarva-karma-sanyasa is an injunction for Mumukshu. Without it, one
can never attain Moksha. However, if one is already situated in
jnana-nishtha and he dies, then in next birth, he is not required to repeat
the sequence. Therefore, it may appear that even a grihstha has attained
Moksha without sks. However, as Acharya has pointed in Aitreya, Moksha for
grihastha is impossible, it is to be understood that he is talking of a
grihastha without sattva-shuddhi. The sequence of 5.12 is inviolable.
However, it spans across several births. Thus, there is no contradiction
imho.

Regards.
Sudhanshu.

On Mon 8 Apr, 2019, 18:31 Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l, <