[Advaita-l] Brahman is 'avaachya' by any name: Vishnu Puranam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 22:49:17 EDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 8:12 AM sreenivasa murthy <narayana145 at yahoo.co.in>
wrote:

> Dear Sri Subramanian,
> Mantra 1-5 of Kena Upanishad states thus :
> yad vAcAnaByuditam    yEna  vAgaBudyatE |
> tadEva brahma tvaM viddhi   nEdaM yadidamupAsatE ||
>
> When  in  such  a  simple  and  direct  way  Sruti  points
> out  The  Truth, in  one's own anuBava
> where  is  the  need  to  go into  all  the  explanations
> and  quotations  which  are  being  given  in  your  e-mail
> and  study  them?
> Is  it  not  better  for  a  student  to  limit  one's  study
> to  upanishads  instead  of  studying  innumerable  texts
> and commentaries  on them?
> To  know  2X3=6 how many text books  need  be studied?
> Is  not  one  text  book enough?

Dear Sri Srinivasamurthy,

You have  a valid point. When we bring up pramana-s from many sources, not
just the Upanishads, we are able to show that the Vedantic stand on this
topic has sound scriptural basis.  This is required both for the Advaitic
sadhaka and to respond to those non-adivaitins. who are opposed to this
idea that only Shankara Bhagavatpada has highlighted.

warm regards
subbu