[Advaita-l] Fwd: Can Asura-s take birth at will?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 23:36:19 EDT 2019

We have instances of Asura-s taking forms at will, as Maricha took the form
of the golden deer, Ravana taking the form of a mendicant to abduct Seetha
and so on. They may have the power of icchaa-rupa grahanam. Deva-s too have
this power as evidenced by Indra taking the form of a brahmana to deceive
Karna, etc.  Bhagavan too has the power to take various forms as avataras
or even be born in a womb for a purpose.

Can  Asura-s take a birth in a particular family/womb with a view to
perpetrate evil?  By nature they may be born, by default, and do things
that trouble the society. This can be due to a curse, as in the case of
Jaya-Vijaya who were born thrice and were slain by Bhagavan.  But can they
take a particular janma, out of sankalpa, and harm others in that janma?

I would request scholars to deliberate on this and show instances if any in
the puranic or other literature.

Thanks and warm regards
subrahmanian.v