[Advaita-l] asat & asatya / sat & satya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 09:56:36 EDT 2019

Bhaskar ji,

The confusion is because of two things (1) the definition of asat (2) the
method of pratyaksha as held in traditional Vedanta.

(1) In tradition, sat is defined something which exists in (past & present
& future). Asat should then logically be ~ (past & present & future). But
it is not defined so. It is defined as ~past & ~present & ~ future. That is
why we need to have sat-asat-vilakshana which covers other than these two
scenario. It is an issue of definition. This is what is referred as mithya.
It is all definition issue. Nothing fundamentally problematic here.

(2) there is a huge methodology involved as to how we get to know a table,
chair, rope etc through pratyaksha. Tradition has a huge theory behind it.
It states that the antah-karana goes through chakshu-Indriya to the place
where vishaya is and takes vishaya-AkAra. Then there is aikya of
vishaya-avachchinna-chaitanya and
antah-karaNa-vritti-avachchinna-chaitanya. Thus, we get to have the
pratyaksha jnAna. Then it enquires as to how we see illusions. It is a
perfect theory and very interesting. It will solve your issue if you go
through VedAnta ParibhAsha. There is nothing prima facie incorrect. We need
to just go through the theory of perception.

Sudhanshu.