[Advaita-l] Definition of Anubhava

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 08:51:05 EST 2019

Namaste Praveen Ji,

I am referring back to an earlier thread couple of years back wherein you
had raised some questions on  अनुभव  ( anubhava ).

<< I couldn't find the definition of अनुभव in that thread. The
interpretation,however, looks same as what I said in my first post
अपरोक्षज्ञानम्। This is

not at all at dispute. To clarify, I wish to know:

1) Whether we agree with the Nyaya definition स्मृतिभिन्नज्ञानम् अनुभवः। If

not,

2) What is our definition of अनुभव?

Please note that this definition should not and need not be limited

to ब्रह्मज्ञान, as it is applied everywhere >>.

Link to the thread is

<< https://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2017-July/045786.html
.

I am not sure if you could get a satisfactory answer  to your questions
either in that thread or since then. During  my search through  Vivarana
Prameya Samgraha  recently in some other context, I came across the
following conclusion  concerning  अनुभव  ( anubhava ).

<<  तथा  चात्म्यैव बिषयोपाधिको ऽनुभव इति व्यपदिश्यते
अविवक्षितोपाधिश्चात्मेति । >>

<< tathA  chAtmyaiva biShayopAdhiko .anubhava iti vyapadishyate
avivakShitopAdhishchAtmeti | >>

<< And thus the Self itself as conditioned by objects is spoken of as
experience ; and when the adjuncts are not intended, ( it is called ) the
Self >>  ( Translation by Prof Suryanarayana Shastri ).

Note this definition is not limited to ब्रह्मज्ञान ( BrahmajnAna ). There
is an exhaustive discussion as well wherein the other views, including that
of Nyaya is rejected.

If you are still interested in the topic, you may like to lookup the text
itself for further details. Also of course Panchapadika Vivarana itself.