[Advaita-l] Jagadguru Speaks: Be Helpful to Others in Thought, Word and Deed

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 21:35:44 EST 2019

 (Around the beginning of the month, a nugget of Wisdom from the Jagadguru may be posted on the advaita-l list,
as on the Chaturamnaya list: http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/chaturamnaya )

http://www.tattvaloka.com/uploads/jagadguruSpeech/pdf/1761136436JSpeaks%20-%20FEB%202019.pdf

The Lord has blessed man with various sense organs, such
as the eyes, ears and tongue, chiefly for engaging in noble
deeds. Consider the faculty of speech. One must only speak
what is appropriate and beneficial. It must never be wasted.
Also, if you give a word to someone, you must ensure you
keep your word.

Instead of wasting time in idle gossip, one can chant
stotras or hymns in praise of the Lord. Never hurt anyone
with harsh words, as it will continue to distress him.

Again, extolling a person in his front and reviling him at
his back is a sin indeed. In the same way, telling lies is also a
sin and we must always speak only the truth. This is what
our forefathers have instructed:

  asatpralApaM pAruShyaM paishunyamanRRitaM tathA .
  chatvAri vAchA rAjendra na jalpennAnuchintayet.h ..

Thus, if all sense organs are used for helping others, people
themselves will reap the benefit of leading a life of sanctity.
Our blessings for all to understand this and mould their
actions for their as well as others' benefit.