[Advaita-l] MOKSHA or MUKTI

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 04:51:15 EST 2019

Namaste Raghav Ji,

Reg  << Can samAdhi practice *as described in vivekachUDAmaNih or JMV* be
termed
  'inert'  and 'like suShupti' (in so far as its utility for
  advaita-sAdhana)? >>,

VC and JMV are big texts and could have used theterm samAdhi in different
contexts. If at all they have used the terms ‘inert’ and ‘like suShupti’ in
respect of samAdhi, proper references need to be given as to where exactly
this equation is done to understand the context. It would not be proper to
just generalize and then start discussing the issue.

Reg << What is missed is that the vRtti of brahmAtmaikyam does
  indeed accomplish vRtti nirodhah which is the essence of samadhi . This is
  the view of bhAshyakAra (in fact I remember him saying that vedAntic
vRttis
  alone accomplish vRtti nirodhah) >>,

Perhaps some caution is needed in using the term vRitti nirodhah. The term
has different meaning in advaita as compared to Yoga darshana. MandUkya
kArika 3-35.

If any specific aspect of samAdhi is takenup for discussion instead of
samAdhi in general, it may be useful. Just my personal view.

Regards

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 7:12 AM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <