[Advaita-l] Trimurti Shakti Aikyam in the Kanakadhara stotram

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 00:54:21 EST 2019

Trimurti Shakti Aikyam in the Kanakadhara stotram

In the famous Kanaka Dhaara Stotram of Shankaracharya we find the
expression of Trimurti-shakti aikyam in the following stanza:

Mahalakshmi is addressed as Geerdevataa - Saraswati. She is Lakshmi the
consort of Vishnu and also Parvati, the consort of Chandrashekhara. She is
therefore the shakti in the cosmic functions of creation, susteanence and
destruction. In the last line Shankara  refers to her as the Turiya Shakti
as the consort of the Tribhuvanaika guru, the Turiya Vishnu.

This Turiya Vishnu's vibhutis are the Trimurti-s.

Geerdhevathethi garuda-dhwaja sundarithi,
shaakambhareethi shashishekara-vallebhethi,

Srishti sthithi pralaya kelishu samsthithaayai,
Thasyai namas thribhvanaikaguros tharunyai.

She is the goddess of Knowledge,
She is the darling of Him who has Garuda as flag,
She is the power that causes of death at time of deluge,
And she is the wife of Him who has the crescent (Shiva),
And she does the creation , upkeep and destruction at various times,
And my salutations to this lady who is the consort of the source of all the
three worlds.

Listen to this soul filling rendering of the hymn by M.S.Subbulakshmi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbYVVNGnicI

In the Lalitha Sahasra Nama we have the consort of Shiva depicted as
Saraswati and Mahalakshmi and Parvati.

Om Tat Sat