[Advaita-l] A point to ponder

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 02:37:47 EST 2019

Namaste Subbu ji
Thank you this.
One related issue is the lack of nuance and subtlety in the dvaita
(dualistic) mindset.

The dvaitins I have interacted , are unable to appreciate that Advaita
vedAnta while emphasising the Non-dual truth of the Self, is strongly
supportive of the practices of loving devotion to a personal deity - bhakti
towards the iShTa Devata. Devotion to Krishna or Vishnu is wholly validated
and endorsed by the teachers of Non-dual vedAnta. But Indian dualists are
loathe to examine and appreciate this fact. They just can't wrap their mind
around the fact that a great devotee of Sri Rama like Thyagaraja is still a
staunch Advaitin. Similarly Tukaram and Jnaneshwar professional loving
devotion to a personal deity viz., Vitthala, but remain Non-dualist in
their understanding.

In one incident, Sri Ramakrishna was in Bhava samadhi listening to a
devotional song of the vaiShnava tradition dedicated to Krishna when
someone whispers the name of Goddess Kali in his ears and he responds very
disapprovingly as when one eating some tasty peanuts eats a bad peanut.
This was so since devotion to Kali it did not according with his feeling or
rasa or mood at that time which was towards Lord Krishna. On other days he
would relate to the Goddess with the same devotion that he professed to Sri
Krishna. Such 'perspectivism' with respect to bhakti is hard for the
dualistic mindset to fathom.

Om