[Advaita-l] Mantra Japa during grahana.

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jul 17 06:19:37 EDT 2019

Don’t we have to see all these from vedAnta perspective as well ?? Or should we simply (or blindly) go by traditional practices without raising any issues ??  Any shAstrAdhAra with regard to Ishwara's malinatvaM due to grahaNa in AgamAdi shAstra ??

Answer is Yes, We have to see all these from the Vedanta Perspective  rather than blindly following Traditional practices. There is one extraordinarily expert since 100 yrs in Shivagama shastra namely Gauripati Shastri ji in a village called 'Bhatnavilli' of Godavari district and it seems he recently left his mortal coil by making his sons, grand sons as experts in that field. They only performs, Shiva linga girnodhharana, kalyanam, rudara homam ..etc in our sivalaya temple since many years. I will try to get some information for Pramana  for this Grahana Kala Malina of the temple from them.

However, my experience with my grand father says that: he used to insists me to keep  the Kusa agra i.e Darbha in the puja mandira of the house and as well also on dhanyagara, Store house (long kept pickles). I asked why so? He said to me that Darbha is always auspicious as it was borned from mother mitti matruka. Even it is ever pure than the 'Grutham' (Ghee). So he says in the Grahana Kala we never know, any negative energies (Rakshasa Gana's), may enters the house easily  as they were  very active during that period. As Rahu, ketu are belongs to Asura's class initially, so after seeing the darbhas in the house, they will not dare to live or continue to present there due to the purity of the house by the presence of the darbhas.

how can he become dirty when the doors are opened and how can he be clean during grahaNa.

Sanctum of God can not become dirty , but the rays during that period were supposed to not to fall on the sanctum or its dieties present in the avarana. Since the eyes of the nature i.e Sun & moon are in trouble during the grahana kala as some one is swallowing or comming in between, it could be better that light rays from the eyes should not fall on the sanctum diety. How ever, washing of the entire temple is only a traditional practise happening several years.
There are purely of my personal views only.

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu
Kameswara