[Advaita-l] 'Tamas' (Darkness) as a Dravya, matter

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 14:38:19 EDT 2019

Namaste

A few weeks ago there was a discussion in this forum about the status of
'tamas' in Advaita. In the introduction by the famous scholar Sri Vasudeva
Shastri Abhayankar to the book 'Sarva darshana sangraha' of Sri
Maadhavaachaarya (not Sri Madhvacharya of Dvaita vedanta). The portion
regarding 'darkness, tamas' is cited here: How various schools regard the
phenomenon of darkness. [Since images cannot be posted in this forum I am
providing this link where I have uploaded two images]:

https://www.facebook.com/subrahmanian.vaidyanathan/posts/2730538016959542

According to Sri Abhayankar Sastri, ''तमः स्वतन्त्रं द्रव्यमिति माध्वा
अद्वैतवेदान्तिनश्च | " [Both Madhvas and Advaitins hold 'tamas' to be an
independent dravya (matter)."

 I found that his very long introduction to this book is a great source of
knowledge spanning the various systems of philosophy on various aspects
such as jiva, jagat, ishwara.... I would recommend the study of this
introduction.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v