[Advaita-l] Is the eternity and apaurusheyatva of Vedas a me

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 7 10:55:41 EDT 2019

Namaste Sudhanshu ji
The arguments of Nyaya for accepting Vedapraamaanya are indeed logical and accepted by Advaita-acharyas (please see the commentary on शास्त्रयोनित्वात्). They merely shift the axiom from Veda being pramaana, to the existence of Ishvara being the basis [1] (they don't call it an axiom, but argue that - since an advaitin has no dispute with the truth of Isvara, he has no problem with those arguments).
The axiom here is that Veda is a Pramaana. Since Veda is a Pramaana, Vedic injunctions like स्वर्गकामो यजेत are valid.
The axiomatic aspect can be seen in the Acarya's definition of Sraddha (Gitabhashya on श्रद्धावान् लभते ज्ञानम् defines it as *faith* in Sastra (=Veda + Smriti) and Guru).

Regards,
Senani
[1] Nyayasutras also give the reason that Veda is a pramaana because it is seen that Vedic mantras to cure scorpion bite etc. work just like Ayurvedic medicines work.

  On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 7:31 PM, Sudhanshu Shekhar<sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com> wrote:   Namaste Sivasenani Nori ji,