[Advaita-l] Partlessness of Brahman and Maya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 08:34:32 EDT 2019

V Subramanian ji.

//I see this way: न अपक्षीयते स्वरूपेण, निरवयवत्वात् । is stated in the
context of Atman in the 2.20 bhashyam. This need not be taken as a general
rule. Since there is a baadhaka to this rule in the case of Akasha, which
is very clearly established in the bhashya too to be having naasha, kaala
pariccheda, despite being niravayva, the rule न अपक्षीयते स्वरूपेण,
निरवयवत्वात् । has to be seen as not applicable to akasha. If there were no
baadha pramaNa, the rule could have been universal, absolute. But we have a
baadhaka pramana in the case of akasha, where we have to say निरवयत्वे सति
उत्पत्तिमत्त्वादाकाशस्य नाशः उपपद्यते//

If we don't take this meaning, then what would remain the meaning of
निरवयवत्वात्?
It is a clear case of vyApti. Is it not?

In order to bring into AkAsha in its fold, we should see as to what exactly
BhAshyakAra means by the word न अपक्षीयते स्वरूपेण. So let us take a case
of a sAvayava, like a doll with limbs. We break one of the limb and there
is a kshaya in its swarUpa. That is all. SwarUeNa here need not be taken to
mean स्वेन आत्मना but like in the case of a sAvaya object because that is
the comparable here.

So my take basically is - in 13.32, there is निरवयवत्वात् अव्यय and
निर्गुणत्वात् अव्यय.  Let these be avyaya-1 and avyaya-2. These two
avyaya-1 and 2 have artha-samkocha as against the mukhya avyaya. That is
why both causal factors are required of niravayava and nirguna. Otherwise
one would be sufficient.

AkAsha is niravaya but saguNa, hence there will be no swarupeNa-vyaya but
there will be guNa-vyayena-vyaya. It so happens that by guNa-vyayena, there
will be swena-AtmanA-vyaya of AkAsha.

Sudhanshu.

--
Joint Commissioner of Income-tax,