[Advaita-l] Difference between AkAsha and AvakAsha

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 11:52:04 EDT 2019

Thanks Sudhanshu ji for this excerpt.  While I would not hazard a guess, I
think avakasha is aakaasha with avaccheda, limiting adjunct, like a pot, or
walls, etc. Between walls/enclosures we have empty space, avakasha, which
is aakasha only without the enclosures.

BSB 1.3.14    ; द्यावापृथिव्यादि च तस्मिन्नन्तःसमाहितम् ,
अवकाशात्मनाकाशस्यैकत्वात्
।

BSB 1.3.41  आकाशशब्दस्य तस्मिन् रूढत्वात् ; नामरूपनिर्वहणस्य चा
वकाशदानद्वारेण तस्मिन्योजयितुं शक्यत्वात् ; [This is said by the pp but the
siddhantin does not refute this., as far as I see.]

The other two quotes from Tai.bha. shown by you are also not unrelated to
the above.

regards
subbu