[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Fri Mar 22 09:29:57 EDT 2019

Well, to be fair, I don't think SV was concluding that Yajnavalkya was a
"mere theoretical" jnani.

As Praveenji points out, he regards him as a full jnani and (videha)mukta
-- but simply one where the quality of the prArabdha remaining is less
sattvic than what SV calls a jivanmukta. It is only a difference in the
quality of prArabdha. As Bhagavan Ramana has said regarding these kinds of
classifications, the experience of the jnani is the same regardless: "There
is no difference in the samadhi state or the jnana of the jnanis. The
classification is only from the standpoint of the observer."

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:42 AM Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <