[Advaita-l] Two Advaitic verses with a profound combined purport

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 01:33:28 EDT 2019

Namaste Subbuji, Venkatji,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 2:18 PM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> In the first Sloka, if the anvaya of तदेव is done with नित्यं, as in
> नित्यं तदेव
> then the eva-kAra can be indicative of jagan mithyA also.
>

> If the anvaya of तदेव is done with त्वं as in तदेव त्वं, then that could be
> indicative of jIvo brahmaiva nApara: also. This reminds one of the
> kenopaniShad line तदेव ब्रह्म त्वं विद्धि.
>

> > शब्दस्याद्यन्तयोः सिद्धं मनसोऽपि तथैव च |
> > मध्ये साक्षितया नित्यं तदेव त्वं भ्रमं जहि ||

Although the meaning of the shloka is somehow clear and एवकार has these
above possibilities, this verse seems challenging to me to make a complete
anvaya. I looked up not only the previous and later few shlokas to connect,
but then the entire work itself for the sheer beauty of it. Grammatically,
this is one of the few difficult verses in it. Now, I think the following
makes some sense to me, though I am still not comfortable with all the
cases:
यथा शब्दस्य आद्यन्तयोः सत्योः मध्ये च [भ्रमत्वं] सिद्धं तथैव मनसोपि
[भ्रमत्वं] सिद्धम्। तदेव [ब्रह्म मनसः] साक्षितया नित्यम्। [अतः] त्वं भ्रमं
जहि।

I am taking एवकार with तत् since तत्त्वमसि has gone by a couple of shlokas
back. I'd appreciate if anyone offers a better anvaya.

Thanks,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */