[Advaita-l] Two Advaitic verses with a profound combined purport

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 10:26:05 EDT 2019

Raghav ji,

Even as you were typing and posting this reply/response, I was doing the
same in our Whatsapp group:

hanks for the detailed presentation.  If we consider the statement 'sarvam
khalvidam brahma', we have the 'equation' jagat (idam) = Brahman. Jagat is
jadam, vishaya, paricchinna, drshya, etc. whereas Brahman is quite the
opposite of jagat. Hence, in order to arrive at the equation we have to
take the true svarupa of jagat by discarding the aaropitamsha, that is,
naama-rupa. This is done due to safeguarding the tatparya of the vakya
which is teaching 'the jagat is non-different from Brahman.' When the
svarupa of jagat is realized as Brahman, the cause alone, the equation fits
seamlessly. In this case too the central advaitic teaching of
jaganmithyatva' is present. The baadhaayaam saamaanaadhikaranyam in the
form of 'what was wrongly known/seen as silver is actually the shell' is
expressed as 'what was wrongly taken to be the world is actually Brahman.'
Shankara has used this analogy in the BGB for 'brahmarpanam brahma
havih...' verse.

regards
subbu

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 7:53 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <