[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 03:48:00 EDT 2019

Namaste.

Sri Akilesh Ayyar wrote

<<  And Bhagavan then remarks on your point:

*“It may well be asked, ‘If there is no ‘I’ (aham), how did he speak?’ When
properly understood, that which occurred as ‘I’ before, becomes our own
Nature (swarupa) afterwards. That is called destruction of mind (mano
nasa). That thought- free awareness or other signs of awareness are cases
of merging (laya) and not of destruction (nasa). So long as there is
merging and emerging, it is merely a state of spiritual practice
(sadhana),” said Bhagavan.*

So the I is replaced by our own nature; the mind is destroyed but speaking
is possible. These are paradoxes, of course, but how else to explain the
inexplicable?  >>,

Since the Maharshi is talking of merging and emerging, can it be understood
that,  in his view, for a mukta  The ‘ I ‘ sense merges and emerges from
 own  Nature (swarupa) at will because of  His  jnAna and sAdhana. When it
has emerged, the ‘ I ‘ sense identifies itself with the body and He is able
to speak and interact with others. When the ‘ I ‘ sense merges again, He is
no longer seeing anything  and not in communion with the world.

I am specifically asking if this could be what the Maharshi meant, not our
individual opinion on the issue.

Regards

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:18 AM Akilesh Ayyar via Advaita-l <