[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 04:11:17 EDT 2019

Bhaskarji - PraNAms
First, no one can answer the question the way you want. Only jnaani has to answer. No jnaani will declare that I am a jnaani. No one else can declare that some person X is a jnaani.
It is important for the disciples to assume that their teacher is a jnaani - that way one has Shraddha on the teaching. A right teacher is one who directs the disciples to the scriptures as the authority than to himself.
Hence the best way to understand how jnaani acts is to look at how the great mahatmas acted when faced different circumstances.brahma vit brahmaiva bhavati - says the scripture.
Brahman being infinite cannot act.
Hence any action is at vyavahaara state - Krishna says it is the Prakriti that does all the actions - prakRityaiva ca karmnaani kriyamaanaani sarvashaH. A jnaani has understood that or jannaani is the one who understood that. Either way, He does not act. Yet that statement is true for both jnaani and ajnaani. ajnaani also does not act but he unnecessarily takes up the kartRitva bhaava and therefore sufferers.
Jaaani knows he does not act but appropriate actions will come out as needed in response to the demand.
Jnaani as witnessing consciousness sits back and enjoy the tamasha - It becomes His Vibhuti.
The best thing is to look at the lives of Krishna - Was he acting or was he not acting. Both are true - but from His point, it is only a Leela.
If a person kicks somebody on the stage in a drama - the fellow who got kicked cannot go to court to sue him. It is all Leela.
Krishna was dynamically involved in every scene but he can claim that I this is all my Leela.
That understanding is internal.
Now you can decide whether jnaani acts or not.
Hari Om!
Sadananda