[Advaita-l] Hari-Hara abheda: Tulasi Das one with Veda Vyasa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 06:02:28 EDT 2019

Hari-Hara abheda: Tulasi Das one with Veda Vyasa

In the Ramacharita Manas of Goswami Tulsi Das occurs this verse:

http://tinyurl.com/yy58fbva

शंकर प्रिय मम द्रोही,शिव द्रोही मम दास.
ते नर करहिं कल्प भर, घोर नरक मंह वास. [रामचरित मानस - लंकाकांड - दोहा २].

Meaning of the above 'doha' is:

राम जी के सागर पर सेतु बनाने से पहले रामजी कहते हैं की
जो राम भक्त हैं और शिव का द्रोह करते हैं अथवा शिव भक्त हैं राम का द्रोह
करते हैं ऐसे नर कल्प भर घोर नरक में वास करते हैं.

 Lord Ram says that the person, who is my devotee but against Shiva
(regarding him inferior) or is a Shiva devotee and is against me (regarding
me inferior), will dwell in hell forever.

These words of Tulasi Das reflect the several verses of Veda Vyasa which
have been cited by Shankara in the Vishnu Shasra nama bhashyam:

Bhaviṣyottara purāṇa :

Maheśvara (Śiva) says:

विष्णोरन्यं तु पश्यन्ति ये मां ब्रह्माणमेव वा ।

कुतर्कमतयो मूढाः पच्यन्ते नरकेष्वधः ॥

[Those fools who, devoid of proper thinking, consider Me and Brahmā as
different from Viṣṇu, will be baked in the lowly hells.] This idea is
reflected in a famous Tamil saying: ariyum aranum onnu, ariyadavar vaayile
mannu.

ये च मूढा दुरात्मानो भिन्नं पश्यन्ति मां हरेः ।

ब्रह्माणं च ततस्तस्माद् ब्रह्महत्यासमं त्वघम् ॥

[Those fools, wicked ones, by seeing Me and Brahmā as different from Hari
are committing the heinous sin of brahmahatyā.]

One can recall a similar verse in the Śrīmadbhāgavatam (Dakṣayajña section)
as said by Viṣṇu: such jiva-s will not attain liberation.

 Harivamṣa 3.88. 60, 61, 62 which are addressed by Maheśwara during
the Kailāsa yātra episode:

नामानि तव गोविन्द यानि लोके महान्ति च ।

तान्येव मम नामानि नात्र कार्या विचारणा ॥

[O Govinda, your esteemed names alone are mine as well; no doubt need
to be had in this regard] There Veda Vyasa, through Shiva, conveys
that all the names of Viṣṇu, including the name ‘Nārāyaṇa’ are that of
Śiva.  Thus the thousand names of Viṣṇu are also those of Śiva since
there is no difference in name and sense between the pair Hari and
Hara.

त्वदुपासा जगन्नाथ सैवास्तु मम गोपते ।

यश्च त्वां द्वेष्टि भो देव स मां द्वेष्टि न संशयः ॥

[The worship/meditation of You, O Gopati, let that be meditation on me
too.  He who hates you O Deva, hates me too, undoubtedly.]

Harivamśa verses, spoken by Maheśvara (Śiva) to Vishnu:

अहं त्वं सर्वग देव त्वमेवाहं जनार्दन ।

आवयोरन्तरं नास्ति शब्दैरर्थैर्जगत्त्रये ॥ (3.88.60)

[O, the all-pervading one, I am Thee, and Thou are me alone. There is
no difference between the two of us either by word or meaning in all
the three worlds.]

Thus we see that only Vedantins are capable of composing and citing
verses of this genre.

Om Tat Sat