[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Mar 29 07:43:10 EDT 2019

praNAms Sri Akilesh Ayyar prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Well, I am in agreement except for one small point. I prefer not to say that Ishwara holds a place only in vyavaHara. That is true only of a limited concept of Ishwara.

If by Ishwara is meant karma-phala-data, creator, and so on, yes, that is avidya kalpita,

  *   Ishwara as creator, karmAdhyaksha, karmaphala dAta, his omnipotence, omniscience etc. is not avidyA kalpita ( though contextually bhAshyakAra states the concept of Ishwara, his omnipotence, omniscience etc.  hold good only in vyavahAra and his upAdhi-s are figment of avidyA ) since Shruti itself saying he is ekO devaH sarvabhUteshu guDhaH, sarva bhUtAntarAtma, karmAdhyaksha etc. and at the end that same entity has been said as sAkshi bhUta, kevalO nirguNashcha.  If the personified Ishwara itself ( sOphAdhika or kArya  or apara brahman ) is jeva’s avidyA kalpita there is no place for dhyAna, upAsana, krama mukti  etc. in Advaita and in a sense it becomes nereeshwara vAda.  Yes, as per bhAshyakAra there are two brahman-s (since Shruti saying so as parApara) one is jnEya brahma and another is upAsya brahma but in its svarUpa the upAsya (apara) brahma who is manOmaya, bhArUpa non different from para brahma who is aprANa, amana, nirvishesha.  And Geeta bhAshya he says even to realize this jnana ( paramArtha Advaita jnana) Ishwara kAruNya is required.  So, Ishwara’s upAdhi, special eligibility etc. is not jeeva’s avidyA kalpita it is Shruti mAta’s gift to maNda and madhyamAdhikAri-s who cannot elevate themselves to realize ultimate truth of parabrahman.

but the true Ishwara is that which exceeds all those concepts. The true Ishwara is Brahman.

Ø     Yes, don’t we say jeeveshwara Ikya ??  And for this Ishwara / parabrahman sarvajnatvaM / sarvashaktitvaM etc. is svabhAva says Itareya up.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar