[Advaita-l] Hreem and Purusha Suktam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri May 3 07:25:20 EDT 2019

The features of '1000 heads, eyes....etc' in the Purusha Suktam are there
for Shiva too, for example, in the Sri Rudram ('sahasrAkShAya mIDhuShE..'
shiva Sahasranama.  Some puranas have said Shiva is praised through the
Purusha suktam by devas/rishis. For Devi too, in the Lalita Sahasra Nama,
we have 'saharAkShI sahasrapAt..' That the Purusha Suktam is a hymn in
praise of the Para Brahman is beyond doubt and any entity that is seen by
someone as the Supreme Brahman will see the Suktam as depicting his ishta
devata as the subject of the Suktam.

In the Sayana bhashya for the words 'Hrii' and Srii' is it said: Hree is
lajjaabhimaaninii devataa and srih is  dhanaabhimanini devataa (Hree = the
deity presiding over lajjaa, shame (modesty is another meaning) and Sree =
wealth).

regards
subbu

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 11:20 PM Sriram Sankaranarayanan via Advaita-l <