[Advaita-l] Whether darkness is bhava - Vivarana Prameya Samgraha of Shri Vidyaranya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Sun May 5 06:48:10 EDT 2019

Hari Om Venkataraghavan ji,

the defect of impossibility which you raised in (~A1 & ~A2 .. & ~An) namely
absence of previous knowledge of all types of Aloka is equally present in
~(A1 & A2 ... & An). Isn't it? To know that all Aloka together are not
there, you would still need to know all Aloka. So that does not distinguish
the case and hence should not be a point of rejection.

My problem is that the interpreted definition of purva paksha as ~(A1 & A2
... & An) is downright incorrect because it would entail even daytime as
darkness. Should we think of purva-paksha as such a silly one as posing
daytime as darkness and seeking rebuttal?

Further, just explaining my argument a bit more -- if darkness is defined
as absence of photons having wavelengths 380 to 740 nm -- how would you
refute it in line with VPS or for that matter as per any argument of
Vivarana school. So my argument is -- darkness is not bhava but merely
absence of photons having wavelength 380-740 nm. What would be the
rebuttal.

Regards,
Sudhanshu.