[Advaita-l] Brihad Aranyaka 1.5.23

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed May 15 05:40:11 EDT 2019

Namaste.

I can only try to some extent.

Reg  << If we were to say that it is an adhidaivata sun which is talked
about, then
is it true that Surya merges with Vayu devata in *evening *and during
*sunset?
*This should not be so for He is available for other people of same earth.

If it is neither physical sun which merges in VAyu nor Surya devatA, then
how exactly should we understand the reference of merger of sun in vAyu in
evening during sunset >>,

The sun may be available for other people of same earth. But for a whole
lot of people, as well as the animal and plant kingdom, EFFECTIVELY sun is
absent. All of our activities are in a general sense basically determined
by  day and night caused by the presence or absence of sun as far as we are
concerned. That is what is meant by the Upanishad. However vAyu (in the
adhidaivata realm) is NEVER absent. This is akin to indriyAs being active
or inactive on a daily basis but prANa is never so (in the adhyAtma realm).
The upAsaka is advised to undertake upAsana identifying himself with prANa
dEvata at adyAtma level and vAyu dEvata at the adhidaivika level.
Regards