[Advaita-l] Verses for Narasimha Jayanti- Nrsimhastava

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri May 17 06:24:36 EDT 2019

Namaste Anandji,

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 2:56 PM Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <

> When iti is used to form a predicate of an object, the
> predicate is put in the nominative case (prathamAvibhakti), while the
> object may be in the accusative case. Examples from the literature are:
> svargo
> loka iti yaM vadanti (AV), vidarbharAjatanayAM damayantI iti mAM viddhi
> (Mahabharata), taM agniShToma iti AcakShate (Aitareya Brahmana) etc.

Thanks for the elaboration with examples; I think I get the anvaya better
now with what iti encompasses here.

> >नृसिंहेति
> परं मन्त्रं तारकं ब्रह्मसम्मितम्।
> >
> * ब्रह्महत्यादिपापघ्नमिति शास्त्रविदो विदुः॥१४॥*>
> >Here too, wouldn't the iti-pada need the puMlinga word mantra, etc, in
> >prathamA? In this case, the word nRsimha is a sambodhana, so nRsimheti is
> fine. There are instances where a mantra contains such sambodhana.
> shrirAmarAmarAmeti
> rame rAme manorame, etc.

Oh, sorry, I meant the second iti in ब्रह्महत्यादिपापघ्नमिति, but I get
that too now with your answer to my earlier query. This has been an
interesting revelation that I have been making one-sided anvayas when
involving iti. Apologies if it seemed like a foolish inquiry. Thanks once
again.

vyAkaraNaM mukhaM proktam,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */