[Advaita-l] The fifth Veda

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri May 31 13:50:03 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:25 PM Sudhakar Kabra via Advaita-l <

> Respected learned members,
> It is said that itihas and puranas are considered by some as fifth
> veda.Reference is given as Chandogya Upanishad 7.1.2Speakers of Mahabharata
> and Ramayana also emphasise it as fifth veda.
>
> Queries are:
>
> 1. Does anywhere in itihas / puranas it is specifically mentioned as fifth
> veda?

The NarayanashTakshara kalpa and Skanda purana specifically mention it as
the fifth Veda.  See the  भीमिका part in this Mahabharata 'Vaishnava
Paatha':

https://tinyurl.com/yxb3xo3x

Exact shlokas from the above texts are given here.  I did not find any
citation of the Mahabharata itself for the 'fifth Veda' mention.

> 2.Vedas are considered to be aporusheya (Having no writer but heard by
> Rishis during their meditation)but compiled by Vedavyasa at a later date
> for human understanding.
> Do avaita siddhanta give any explanation for this?

We hold such statements as 'arthavada', praise of the vast material of
knowledge present in that great book.

warm regards
subrahmanian.v