[Advaita-l] Amma Swamini Swathmabodhananda Saraswathi no more.

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Nov 8 01:39:23 EST 2019

In the Jivan Mukti Viveka, Swami Vidyaranya has said that sannyasa for women is permitted. The 'praisha' mantra they have to utter is to be in their native language.  The Mahabharata talks of a sannyasini by name Sulabha whom Shankara has cited in the Brahmasutra bhashya:

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes, we have these examples about women jnAni-s and atyAshrami-s.  But going by these exceptional examples can the traditional mutt relax their stand with regard to these issues??  I don’t think so, likewise sanyAsaM to kshatriya and Vaishya there is difference of opinion between shankara and sureshwara but I have not heard sofar traditional mutt giving sannyasa deeksha to other than brAhmin males.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar