[Advaita-l] Doubt on how Bhagavad padha 'identified' himself

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 02:43:01 EST 2019

Namaste Subbuji,
I don't have access to Anandagiri's commentary on the naiShkarmya siddhi.
To be honest, I was not even aware he had written one, until you had said
so.

I don't have the reference for this handy , but I remember reading in
daivittin kural, the kAnchi paramAchArya mentioning that ancient India was
broadly divided into gauDa deSa and drAviDa deSa, each of which was divided
into five regions - the extremity of each of gauDa and drAviDa deSa was
itself called gauDa and drAviDa.

drAviDa in particular was composed of Andhra, karNATaka, gUrjara,
saurAShTra and drAviDa. From here we can discern that drAviDa comprised of
Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

The rAjatarangiNi also classifies panchadrAviDa brAhmaNa-s as belonging to
these regions. Periyava's source may have been this work.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan