[Advaita-l] Doubt on how Bhagavad padha 'identified' himself

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 04:20:54 EST 2019

Namaste.

Reg  << For
NS, Jnanottama's Chandrika is there which says for this verse, as you have
guessed:

द्राविडैः भगवत्पूज्यपादाचार्यैः | पञ्च द्रविडा इति केव(र)लानामापि
द्राविडत्वप्रसिद्धेः |>>,

In Naishkarmya Siddhi  edited by Prof Hiriyanna with english notes, he
cites the following observation by Col  G.A. Jacob, the previous editor of
the same book.

<< केवलानामापि
द्राविडत्वप्रसिद्धे  >> --  The VAchaspatya (s.v. द्राविड) quotes the
following verse from SkAnda purANa in regard to the five DrAvidAs

<< कर्णाटाश्चैव तैलङ्गा गुर्जरा राष्ट्रवासिनः ।

आन्ध्राश्च द्राविडाः पञ्च  विन्ध्यदाक्षिणवासिनः ॥ >>

<< karNATAshchaiva taila~NgA gurjarA rAShTravAsinaH |

AndhrAshcha drAviDAH pa~ncha  vindhyadAkShiNavAsinaH || >>,

Who are the kEvalAs referred to in the commentary? ShankarAchArya lived in
the Malabar country, the ancient name of which was kEraLa. Is the other
name a synonym of this? In BhIshma parva line 32 (ch. ix), Prof H.H.Wilson
met with केवलं a variant of केरलं ; but Dr Fitz-Edward Hall takes it as
qualifying the preceding word मल्लराष्ट्रं. See p. 165 vol. ii, of Wilson’s
VishnupurANa. >>

Just for information
Regards