[Advaita-l] Need help

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Wed Nov 27 22:55:30 EST 2019

There is one PISCHASA Mochan Kund in varanai and here is an interesting story related to this:

As per the legend, once a very powerful demon - Pishach entered into Benares to worship Lord Shiva. It was stopped at Panchkosi roads by deities. However, it overcame them and settled in Benares. Day after day thereon, it started its atrocities and did not allow any deity to stay in Benares. The worried deities approached Bhaironath - the kotwal & Chief Magistrate of Benares. Bhaironath had a fierce battle with the Pishach at the spot where the present day tank is located. He severed the head of Pishach and submitted it to his master Lord Vishweshwara.
The demon on becoming body-less had not lost its life and its tongue and therefore implored Lord Vishweshwara not to banish it from the city but to allow him to reside on the spot where it was decapitated. It also requested that all pilgrims proceeding to the city of Gaya should be directed first to visit the Pishach mochan. To this Lord Shiva gave his consent, believing that the Pishach acted out of its devotion and ordered that it should not allow any other evil spirit to visit Benares.

That particular kund is built in regular manner with Ghats or stone stairs on the four sides leading down to the water.These waters are considered to have peculiar efficacy in ensuring deliverance from the power of demons and all kinds of bad evil spirits thus preventing horrible dreams or destroying their bad effect thereby removing mental and physical sickness.The temple on the bank was erected later by a Queen poetess of Udaipur Meera Bai according to the Vaishnava work Bhaktamala.

Every year annual Lota Bhanta mela occurs at Pishach Mochan Kund.

Keeping aside the veracity of the myths and stories, Pishach Mochan temple is a one of the good places to visit, particularly when oneself is "In and around Rudravāsa".

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu