[Advaita-l] CHANDI NAVAKSHARI - DURGA SAPTHASATI

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Tue Oct 1 03:53:02 EDT 2019

PRAKRITI – ITS NATURE AND MANIFESTATION

The Nirvikalpa Chaitanya (Undifferentiated Consciousness) has in it an aspect which is indivisible with it which is called the Maya. This Chaitanya is called Purusha and the Maya is called Prakriti. The divine pair Purusha-Prakriti is of absolute existence which is anaadi (without begin and end). Now, before delving into the intricacies of Sapthasathi, it is important for us to know the Prakriti, per se, its Gunas (Nature) and its 3 manifestations.

The concept of Prakriti is most fundamental to understand the central theme of Devi Sapthasathi. It is called the Cosmic Energy. It is this Prakriti which is the reflection of Supreme Consciousness called Purusha or Brahman, divides itself into 3 Cosmic Forces called SATTVA (Efflulgence / Luminence), RAJAS (Distraction / Throb) and TAMAS (Inertia / Stability).

When the Purusha alongwith his inherent Prakriti is said to have willed many to become manifold (Bahusyaam Prajayeya), there was gradual intensification of the density of the will, as a result, a throb or disturbance is created in the harmonious state of Prakriti-Purusha. This ‘First Throb’ is Rajo Guna of Prakriti. This throb / Rajo Guna reverts back the Purusha to know his ‘OWN SELF’ which is His Cognizance / Prakriti. Along with the First Throb, which is of Rajo Guna Swarupa, two more throbs also emanate from this Prakriti-Purusha Pair. This second throb is Prakasa / Luminence / Effulgence. This is Sattva Guna. It is with this Prakasa or Luminence that Purusha knows his own Prakriti which is also his “I-Ness” or “Aham-Sphurana” . Now, the third throb is of the form of “Sthiti / Nirodha” or Sustenance. This is Tamo Guna. This third throb holds both the first throb which is Kriya rupa Rajo Guna and the second throb which is Prakasa (Illumination) . Having known its Own Self, the Purusha stays in his own State holding Prakasa and Kriya. This is the Tamo Maya Avastha of Purusha.

So, Prakriti = Prakasa (Sattva) + Kriya (Rajas) + Sthiti (Tamas).

Pantanjali Yoga Sutra says that “Prakasa Kriya Sthiti Silam Bhutendriyatmakam Bhogaapavargartham Drishyam” ie., entire Cosmos is the manifestation of these three Gunas. These 3 Gunas are ever-changing in different permutations and combinations and reflect as Jagat.

Where there is more Kriya (Rajo Guna) and less Prakasa (Sattva Guna), that state is Dukha-maya (Sorrow/Pain) . Where, there is more Prakasa (Sattva Guna) and less Kriya (Rajo Guna), that state is Sukha (Pleasure). Where there is neither Prakasa and Kriya, this State is Moha (Delusion). This is Tamo Maya Avastha. The entire Jagat is the combination of these Pleasure, Pain and Delusion, which is the divine sport or leela of Prakriti.

Tri-Gunaatmaka Prakriti (Prakriti manifested in 3 Gunas) of two types 1) Para Prakriti 2) Apara Prakriti. The same Prakriti shines as Para Prakriti in Ishwara-bhava, and 2) as Apara Prakriti when in Jiva-bhava. In other words, the Bahirmukha Vikasa (Outward Journey towards the Object) of Jiva is Apara Prakriti and Antarmukha Vikasa (Inward Journey towards the Subject) of the Jiva to become Ishwara is called Para Prakriti. The order of Para Prakriti is Tamas, Rajas and Sattva Rupas respectively and that of Apara Prakriti is Sattva, Rajas and Tamas respectively.

Prakasa / Illumination is the Antarmukha vikasa and Aprakasa / Darkness is the Bahirmukha vikasa of Sattva Guna. Vairagya / Kriya is the Antarmukha Vikasa and Nishkriya / Krodha is the Bahirmukha Vikasa of Rajo Guna. Nirodha / Sthiti / Sustenance that holds both Prakasa and Vairagya is the Antarmukha Vikasa and Moha / Delusion is the Bahirmukha Vikasa of Tamo Guna.

Now, the Devi Mahatmyam having the 3 charitas ie., Prathama, Madhyama and Uttama Charitas represent these three aspects of Prakasa, Vairagya and Nirodha of Prakriti. These 3 charitas or cycles embark upon the spiritual journey of Jiva to become Siva. The Prathama, Madhyama and Uttama Charitas represent the cutting asunder the knots of Brahma, Vishnu and Rudra respectively.

Recently I have attended a management course there I learned a story which goes like this:

An Elephant and  a dog became pregnant at same time. Three months down the line the dog gave birth to six puppies. Six months later the dog was pregnant again, and nine months on it gave birth to another dozen puppies. The pattern continued. On the eighteenth month the dog approached the elephant questioning,  "Are you sure that you are pregnant? We became pregnant on the same date, I have given birth three times to a dozen puppies and they are now grown to become big dogs, yet you are still pregnant. Whats going on?". The elephant replied, "There is something I want you to understand. What I am carrying is not a puppy but an elephant. I only give birth to one in two years. When my baby hits the ground, the earth feels it. When my baby crosses the road, human beings stop and watch in admiration, what I carry draws attention. So what I'm carrying is mighty and great.". Don't lose faith when you see others achieving their success. Don't be envious of others results. If you haven't received your success, don't despair. Say to yourself "My time is coming, and when it hits the surface of the earth, people shall yield in admiration.

Although this story has not related to any Advaita aspects,  My Objective of writing this story is Mother is like an Elephant  and her grace/blessings  you can always feel it. No can replace the mother's blessing on this earth.

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu
Kameswara