[Advaita-l] Sanskrit pronunciation question

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 13:45:08 EDT 2019

Namaste Sriram ji and Bala ji
Thank you for your inputs. Balasubramanian ji, I look forward to the yajur
Veda shixA references.

Sriram ji, I read through your link and thanks for that. It's a nice and
lucid shixA lesson.

But it does not address my question as far as I could figure.

If we assume that only the halanta vyanjanas are half mAtras and the
additive rule does not apply to make 'kA' as 2.5 mAtrAs, then it's fine but
we need some clear basis for concluding so.

In taittirIya mantras like 'oguM shomiti shastrAni santi' etc., we can of
course see the half-mAtra vyanjanas. Question is to justify the practice
that we should not simply add mAtras in pronouncing the
svara-yukta-vyanjanas and restrict the pratishAkhya shloka to only halanta
vyanjanas as being ardha mAtra.

Om

On Fri, 4 Oct, 2019, 3:40 PM Venkata sriram P via Advaita-l, <