[Advaita-l] Sanskrit pronunciation question

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 00:51:27 EDT 2019

Namaste

when we say क  we don't say first क् and then अ. It is a combined sound क.
In combining the क् and अ half Matra is lost and one Matra only remains.
Similarly for का there will be 2 Matras remaining after combining.

It is like Ardha Nareeshwara. One Siva plus One Sakti will remain One. Not
Two. Or Brahman Plus Maayaa is still One. Not Two.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:53 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Sriram ji and Bala ji
> Thank you for your inputs. Balasubramanian ji, I look forward to the yajur
> Veda shixA references.
>
> Sriram ji, I read through your link and thanks for that. It's a nice and
> lucid shixA lesson.
>
> But it does not address my question as far as I could figure.
>
> If we assume that only the halanta vyanjanas are half mAtras and the
> additive rule does not apply to make 'kA' as 2.5 mAtrAs, then it's fine but
> we need some clear basis for concluding so.
>
> In taittirIya mantras like 'oguM shomiti shastrAni santi' etc., we can of
> course see the half-mAtra vyanjanas. Question is to justify the practice
> that we should not simply add mAtras in pronouncing the
> svara-yukta-vyanjanas and restrict the pratishAkhya shloka to only halanta
> vyanjanas as being ardha mAtra.
>
> Om
>

> On Fri, 4 Oct, 2019, 3:40 PM Venkata sriram P via Advaita-l, <
>
> > Namaste,
> >
> > Pls read the 1st page of the link document below:

> http://sanskritacademy.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/84a7f680471bbdda834dff7d994b04ce/PRATHAMH+PATHH+%281%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&lmod=874762595&CACHEID=84a7f680471bbdda834dff7d994b04ce
> >
> > Your doubt will be cleared..
> >
> > rgs,
> > sriram