[Advaita-l] GURU Principle

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Oct 17 07:01:11 EDT 2019

praNAms
Hare Krishna

IMHO, credentials of one's guru and accepting a person as his / her guru is quite subjective.  And if he really a brahmanishta guru and his external behavior is suspicious and if we go by ONLY his external attitude we may miss the opportunity to serve the real guru.  And most of the time we have our own idea of guru that we need, if he or she does not meet our expectation we straightaway reject him as an imposter.  And even if we come across some questionable behavior of our accepted guru/s and attacks on the same from other tradition jagadguru shishya-s, we always have the justification in the form of avidyA lesha, prArabdha, have the ready reference that brahma vidya is sva-hrudaya pratyaya no one should doubt or deny  it, he is not bound in BMI, though he looks like doing, doing nothing (nirlepa, nishkAma karma etc.) etc. etc.   and smart enough to philosophize / spiritualize his activities in the form of leela/vibhUti.  And this generosity with regard to our own accepted guru-s will not be extended to other non-acceptable guru-s due to their inability to meet 'our' expectations 😊

Let that matter be aside, I read somewhere, vyAsa in one of his works says that if we find a person, who was accepted by us as guru, indulges in dharma bAhira activities,  we have right to reject him and search for another guru.  I forgot that reference.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar